I first started working with horses in 1979. My experience includes horse training (groundwork and under saddle), showing, trail riding, and teaching western and English riding to youth and adults, both with and without disabilities.
My philosophy toward horses is that God has given us the responsibility to care for these beautiful creatures in work and in play, so we should do our best to keep them healthy and happy. If we are going to take away some of their benefits of living in the wild, we must compensate by meeting their physical and mental needs in other ways, such as through natural hoof care, low-stress training methods, and allowing them to play and have fun once in awhile. Likewise, we should avoid interfering too much with their natural ability to live in the elements, such as not feeding them highly processed food or not excessively blanketing them. So my overall goal is to allow horses to be more “freely equine” within our human world.
I am a Natural Horsemanship trainer, meaning I communicate with horses using mostly their own language. I have developed my methods with the influence of some other notable professionals:
- Monty Roberts for training
- Julie Goodnight for training, teaching, and riding
- Sally Swift for riding and teaching
I believe I will never know everything about horses and I continue to seek further education on my own from sources I trust. I encourage my clients to do the same.
Does certification automatically produce a better professional? No. But it does mean that an objective third party believes the professional has met predetermined standards for safety, knowledge, and ability to serve clients.
Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA):
- Standard Instructor, English Level 3 (includes jumping)
- Standard Instructor, Western Level 2
- Instructor for Riders with Disabilities, Physical Disabilities Level 2
- Instructor for Riders with Disabilities, Cognitive Disabilities Level 2
Colorado State University:
- Intermediate English Equitation, including jumping
EquiTouch Systems, Inc.:
- Equine Sports Massage Therapist II